Help with Mac OS X installation

Forum for PyNomo discussion.
rolsonca

Help with Mac OS X installation

Postby rolsonca » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:02 am

I'm a bare-boned newbie with Python; I have no experience with programming. I'm just trying to generate nomograms with Pynomo. The Mac OS X installation guide http://pynomo.org/wiki/index.php?title=Osx_installation has many unfamiliar terms: Which console do I open? The Mac Console utility has no field in which to type commands. Do I open Terminal instead? Numpy, Scipy, and MacTex were easy to install because they had installation packages; however, PyX and Pynomo don't seem to have installers. How do I install them? Where do I type the command "sudo python setup.py install"? When I enter it on Terminal I get the following error: can't open file 'setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.10.2, Python versions 3.4.3 and 2.7.9, Canopy 1.5.2, MacBook Air (13 inch, mid 2011) with 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.

I just want to create a nomogram. Please any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Robert Olson.
jasonwalker

Re: Help with Mac OS X installation

Postby jasonwalker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum. First up, apologies - we tend to be a bit of a backwater, so it can be weeks before a post gets answered. Secondly, I'm no mac expert, but I figured that suggesting something while we're waiting for a mac expert to show up would be no harm. :-)

Caveats out of the way, I believe that it's terminal you want. Make sure that you've navigated to the correct folder that the PyX files are inzipped into. then run the sudo command. Do the same with the Pynomo package. The following excerpt from Ron's windows setup might be useful -

Navigate to the newly extracted PyX folder using the “change directory” commands of “cd <foldername>” and “cd ..” where <foldername> is a subfolder in the current folder, and .. is the next higher folder. So in my case, the Command Prompt window came up with a prompt of the Windows 7 folder for my user name (C:\User\Ron>). So I entered (without quotes) “cd Downloads” and hit return, then “cd PyX-0.10” and return. You can also just enter “cd Downloads\PyX-0.10” to do it in one step, but I like to see what’s in each folder with the “dir” command before I change to a lower folder.

I can't imagine the mac routine is a million miles away.

Anyway, hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about might show up in a day or two...

Jason

Return to “PyNomo”