Using PyNomo

Forum for PyNomo discussion.
Leif

Using PyNomo

Postby Leif » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:27 pm

New version of PyNomo was released around month ago and I'm interested is anybody really using it...
Statistics (awstats) say that web trafic since 10th October is :
Unique visitors: 720
number of visits: 1539
pages: 16517

and sourceforge downloads: 46

It seems according to statistics that somebody has given thought of the sorftware and maybe tried to use it.
But nobody has posted questions to me or to this forum. I conclude that either software gives 100% satisfaction (?) or is far too complex to use.
Or nomographs are not back yet.

So my questions are:
Are You using PyNomo and possibly for what?

\leif
RonDoerfler

Re: Using PyNomo

Postby RonDoerfler » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:29 am

Hi Leif,

In fact, with business travel and other unavoidable diversions I have not made any unique nomograms yet with the new version of your software. My plan is to first recreate a few of the most fascinating examples I've found in books in order to learn the software better.

I did spend some time pursuing one thing, though. I've been interested in creating nomograms in different fonts, maybe the first grunge font nomogram! I had asked Eric Sumner how he implemented a non-standard font when he created his projectile trajectory nomogram using LaTeX on his new site at http://www.nomography.info. He told me that he used XeTeX rather than pdfLaTeX, and that XeTeX includes commands to select any TrueType font at all on your computer. It turns out that XeTeX is bundled in MiKTeX version 2.7 and later, so I had been intending to try this.

So a few weeks ago I started looking through your source code to see how you called pdflatex so I could try changing the command to xetex to change the font. That's when I found that PyX handles the low-level LaTeX commands, that it sends the commands serially, and that it's not obvious to me how it is done. So as a second option, I found and set a PyX parameter that saves its output LaTeX commands to a logfile, thinking that I could take the commands and import them into my own .tex file that has the document class, font selection commands and other preamble information filled in. But in the end the logfile did not consist of the simple LaTeX commands I was looking for, so I abandoned the effort. By the way, congratulations on your fine programming of PyNomo. I don't know Python, but I'm not unfamiliar with software (I was a software engineer for some years) and I have coded a great deal in Tcl/TK, the TK of which is shared for GUI widgets by Python. I found Python a bit cryptic, but the level of professionalism in your coding is quite apparent.

Anyway, I've played with Pynomo a bit, trying to hack your code as I mentioned :D and trying out some of the examples on your site, and I certainly will be creating some nomograms soon. I'm sure I'll have some questions/suggestions then.

Ron
Leif

Postby Leif » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi Ron,

there is an example to change fonts in PyX: http://pyx.sourceforge.net/examples/text/font.html.
Somehow this does not work in my Windows XP MikTeX 2.7 distribution and PyX. I have not worked this problem out.

If you manage to change fonts this way it should work for text objects in PyNomo.

\leif
joe marasco

Postby joe marasco » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:27 am

I have just completed a new nomograph (see http://www.barbecuejoe.com/scan.htm) and will now test PyNomo by attempting to replicate it programatically. This may take awhile as I have to first download Python and learn how to use it. However, I am looking forward to the experiment.

The new nomograph is the last one, by the way. It is a custom application having to do with racing against the clock over an extended course. It should be almost trivial to do using PyNomo, but as I said, it will take me awhile to come up the learning curve.

Thanks. I will give you feedback when I have some data.

Joe Marasco
a.k.a. Barbecue Joe
joe marasco

Block 10 question

Postby joe marasco » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:34 pm

I have been successful using Block 10, which turns out to be very, very useful because we often have "cross terms" in simple relationships.

However, I have one small question. When the nomograph is plotted, u always comes out on the left, and v on the right. Is there a simple way to reverse these, so that v is on the left and u on the right?

Thanks.

Joe
Leif

Postby Leif » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:22 pm

If one uses 'mirror_x':True in block definitios, for example:

Code: Select all

block_1_params={
             'block_type':'type_10',
             'width':10.0,
             'height':10.0,
             'f1_params':N_params_1,
             'f2_params':N_params_2,
             'f3_params':N_params_3,
             'mirror_x':True
             }

one should get the mirror effect. Parameters mirror_x and mirror_y are frequently needed in compound nomograph constructing.

\leif
joe marasco

Re: Block 10 question

Postby joe marasco » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks, Leif. Worked like a charm.

Return to “PyNomo”