Wargame nomogram site updated

Winchell

Wargame nomogram site updated

Postby Winchell » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:57 am

I just stumbled over this forum, don't know what took me so long.

On the intro page
http://www.projectrho.com/nomogram/intro.html
I added links to Ron Doerfler's blog

On the suggested reading page
http://www.projectrho.com/nomogram/reading.html
I added links to Ron Doerfler's Google Books on nomograms, a link to the PyNomo library site, Ron Doerfler's blog, Barbecue Joe's nomography page, and this forum.

On the computerized drawing page
http://www.projectrho.com/nomogram/cad.html
I added a link to the PyNomo library site.

And I actually added some content to the Grid nomogram page
http://www.projectrho.com/nomogram/grid.html
RonDoerfler

Re: Wargame nomogram site updated

Postby RonDoerfler » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks for the links to my blog--I appreciate it. When I was first exploring this subject I found your Project Rho site, Leif's Pynomo site, Barbecue Joe's site, and little else, so it was these sites that really got me interested in nomography. I've been busy the last few months working on an unrelated software project, but I'll be releasing it this week and then I'll have time to learn some more about this field.

Ron
Winchell

Postby Winchell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:24 am

RonDoerfler wrote:Thanks for the links to my blog--I appreciate it.

Oh, you deserve it. I feel like such a fraud. You've got more mathematical details about nomograms in three of your blog posts than I have on my entire website.

But the same holds true for my atomic rocket website. I searched for websites on nomograms, atomic rockets, and three dimensional star maps. There weren't any. So as unqualified as I was, it was up to me to step up to the plate. And hope that it would inspire a real expert to make a better website.

Apparently you took the bait. ;)

But us fans of antique mathematical instruments have to stick together. Note the symbolism of the image at the top of this webpage:
http://www.projectrho.com/antique.html
The lion is King Moonracer, king of the Island of Misfit Toys. Toys that no boy or girl wants.

Except instead of being surrounded by a Charley-in-the-box and a water-pistol that shoots jelly, he is surrounded by nomograms, squirrel-cage slide rules, and astrolabes.
RonDoerfler

Postby RonDoerfler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Well, we overlap a lot and we differ some. At one point I refer readers to webpages on your site for more information on some topics. The field of nomography is surprisingly large, and it's one subject that serves as a clear counter-example to people who think you can find everything on the Internet (when I hear that I think they haven't spent enough time in a library).

I had missed your Rudolph image before--quite true, as my interest in astrolabes and sundials was once a rare interest of mine, but connecting people with esoteric interests is where the Internet really shines. I notice you have links on that page related to the Antikythera; resting on my bookshelf in my office here is a publication "Early Gearing" from the Science Museum that discusses this mechanism in detail, and I've exchanged email on this same subject with a blog reader who brought it up. The same shelf holds a moonstick (for calculating moon phases) that you link to, as well as a few slide rules, all below Morrison's Personal Astrolabe and photos of sundials, so it appears that there's a community of people whose interests are aligned quite closely.

Cheers,

Ron
Winchell

Postby Winchell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Glad I could help.

I actually own a Moonstick. It is constructed out of solidified coolness. It is quite fascinating to use, while trying to puzzle out how it works.

The paper-and-cardboard wargame Birds of Prey use nomograms as game aids. I assisted Glen Barnett (sort of) to make some nomograms for games by Ken Burnside, I'm not sure if any actually made it into the games. Maybe one day I'll take another stab at making a circular slide rule for simplifed Hohmann rocket trajectories, the last time I tried my shaky math skills were not up to the challenge.
Glen

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:46 am

Hi Winchell! So glad you're here.

I haven't been active on this site a good few months now - I'm still very interested in nomography and I'm even working on something, I've just been busy with some other projects.
Winchell

Postby Winchell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:06 pm

I'm glad to be here. Right now I'm playing with the PyNomo code. I want to enhance it so it can do grid nomograms.
Leif

Postby Leif » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:36 pm

Dear Winchell,

Future version of PyNomo, released hopefully during this year, has grid nomograms. The positioning of text and numbers are maybe not
perfect in these grids, but work. The idea in the new release is, that 10 basic "blocks" are given and user may contruct compound nomographs
using them. One of the blocks is a general determinant, that may have two-variable (grid) rows.

I'm making simple documentation and examples to new webpages. Progress is quite slow right now. Family and work take
most of my time and coding/documenting/learning is limited to late hours.

Anyhow, developing code is transparent and can be downloaded from sourceforce by using subversion (svn).

br,

\leif

ps. I was happy to see PyNomo used at a webpage generating a nomogram: http://hans.fugal.net/density/nomogram.html
Winchell

Postby Winchell » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:44 pm

Looking forwards to it. PyNomo is a joy to use.

Return to “General”